The Old Brewery, Lancaster The Old Brewery was established in 1669. Yates & Jackson was formed in 1878, and continued brewing here until 1984 when the company was taken over by Thwaites. Mitchells (the only other local brewer at the time) bought the Old Brewery and transferred from their brewery in the city centre (on the site of the Vue cinema), apparently to take advantage of the spring water. Mitchells ceased brewing their own beer in 1999. Mitchells are now planning to demolish the brewery, which is in an area scheduled for redevelopment, but a campaign has been launched to save the building.